What Are Some Falling Statistics in Elderly?
If the idea of one-third of older adults falling each year is not enough proof of the danger, look at these statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Falls rank as the most likely cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for people over age 65.
- Twenty to thirty percent of people who experience a fall have moderate to severe injuries like lacerations and head injuries.
- In 2010, over 650,000 older adults were hospitalized due to injuries caused by a fall.
- In 2010, almost 22,000 older adults died because of fall related injuries.
- The older the adult is, the higher the chance they will need to go into a long-term care facility to recover from a fall. People 75 or older are four to five times as likely to need long-term care after a fall.
For older adults who have mobility issues, the danger from falls is even higher. They are less physically active and have a lower fitness level. This increases their chances of having injuries due to falls. It's very important to make sure that the home of an older adult is safe, too.
How can I make my Home Safe for My Older Family Members?
When older adults have mobility issues, they, as well as their loved ones, need to make safety a priority. Safety also needs to be the focus of their caregivers. Moving a fully grown adult from a sitting or prone position is dangerous for both the person being move and the caregiver.
One way to make sure that both the elderly family member and the caregiver stay safe is to use a personal lift and transfer vest, such as the Smart Lift Vest. The older adult wears the snug fitting vest around their torso and arms. The caregiver can use the handles on the vest to lift and transfer that person from one place to another. An optional knee belt is handy when the older adult's legs have a tendency to buckle when standing.
If you are an older adult with mobility issues or a caregiver helping a loved one, the Smart Lift Vest can provide a safe, easy way to be moved and transferred. It is proven to reduce the chance of skin tears and bruising in the person being lifted, as well as lessens the chance of back strain in the lifter. Whether your loved one is living at home, or is in a nursing home or retirement community, the Smart Lift Vest is a great tool. For more information about Smart Lift Vest and how it can help you, contact us today.